The prototype software, PhoCa, automates reconfigurations and recalculations of a scene, implied by changes from a designer, while keeping a balance between visualisation features and availability of quantitative photometric data. It was tested with practical cases provided by a grid operator, to determine energy savings for cities and communities. The test showed that it allows for obtaining 5-8% reduction of the power usage.
Products and services of living smart energy city lab.
Alive & KICing aimed at the start-up of a living smart city energy lab as a way to facilitate the road to the market of urban designed energy systems. This living lab is three-faceted, encompassing three essential elements:
- The design and proof of new “urban smart energy systems”: as example in this project an innovative smart public lighting system was brought to proof of concept in a real life urban lab/environment. The Intelligent Street Lighting system for public spaces aims at diminishing the energy use and lighting costs of local governments and grid operators, taking into account specific comfort requirements of the end-users.
- The viability of an urban energy and comfort service company in the domestic renovation sector. The energy service company concept for retrofitting of buildings offers a solution for fast and targeted retrofitting of residential buildings by setting up an innovative business concept with participation of local communities (citizens) but with a minimum of burden for the end-users. There are no direct investments and part of the profits go back to the local community while working with low cost and reliable technology/energy suppliers. The energy savings model is validated and improved during the project.
- The experience-building through a learning platform on urban energy system solutions between a limited number of key innovation, industry and city partners. More and more city stakeholders are taking engagements towards CO₂ neutrality. The necessary large scale district investments need to fit in the medium and long term plans of the city. Priority setting, sustainable design, urban planning and multi-impacts to the urban environment are essential in this context. Alive and KIC-ing creates a self-learning process within an common experience platform on urban energy system solutions. Masters students are actively involved in industry driven projects related to replication potential of the Intelligent Street Lighting system, but also in the assessment of the efficient and optimal renewal of car parks.
Besides this, the learning platform is also integrating the already existing knowledge with the partners. Through a living lab approach, this initiative looks into possibilities of creating a package of tools for city stakeholders to take investments decisions in an efficient and inclusive way.
- AGH – Akademia Górniczo – Hutnicza im. Stanislawa Staszica
- Electricité de France (EDF)
- Harvard Engineering PLC
- Kungliga Tekniska Hogskolan (KTH)
- Waifer Nederland BV
- EnergyVille (VITO + KU Leuven)