Our Programmes

  • "What programmes do you offer?"

    We offer seven master programmes in sustainable energy with a strong focus on innovation and entrepreneurship. Our programmes are listed below:

    You can find more information about KIC InnoEnergy Master School’s seven programmes here.

  • "What is the EIT?"

    KIC InnoEnergy is financially supported by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT). The EIT is a body of the European Union, which was established in March 2008. Its mission is to increase European sustainable growth and competitiveness by developing a new generation of innovators and entrepreneurs to reinforce the EU’s capacity for innovation.

    “To achieve this goal, EIT has created Knowledge and Innovation Communities (KICs) linking higher education with research and business sectorsin a bid to boost innovation and entrepreneurship.”

    The current three KICs focus on topical subjects that have a meaningful impact on society. The current communities include:

    • Climate KIC: Limit Climate Change Mitigation
    • EIT ICT Labs: Information and communication technologies (EIT ICT Labs)

    In brief,  the EIT’s mission is to facilitate the following transitions by integrating the three sides of the knowledge triangle (higher education, research and business) in areas of high societal need:

    • From ideas to products
    • From labs to markets
    • From students to entrepreneurs
  • "What is the knowledge triangle?"

    This is a concept created by the EIT to set the theoretical framework of the KICs. The triangle symbolises how the three components (higher education, research and industry) interact and how the resulting innovation-entrepreneurship-business model fosters market-oriented innovation.

Academic Questions

  • "What is the EIT label?"

    EIT-labelled master programmes fulfil the high criteria for education, entrepreneurship and innovation set by the EIT. All of our KIC InnoEnergy master programmes carry the EIT label. You can find more about the EIT label on the their website: http://eit.europa.eu/education/eit-label/

  • "What tasks and projects will I be set during the programme?"

    The content of each master programme is highly variable. Nevertheless, you can generally expect projects to be based on real cases and include visits to companies in the field. We encourage industry collaboration during lectures and in some cases, you can join a company for your internship and thesis work.

  • "When does the semester start? Is there a calendar for the next academic year?"

    All programmes start in the autumn semester although the exact month varies depending on your programme. In general, programmes start between August and October with our MSc Clean Fossil and Alternative Fuels Energy having an additional entry date in March.

  • "What minimum qualifications do I need to enroll in one of your programmes?"

    You must have completed a Bachelor’s degree encompassing a minimum of 180 ECTS credits or have equivalent academic qualifications from an internationally recognized university. Please note that the specific BSc degree required depends on the actual MSc programme. You can find out more about our admission criteria here.

  • "Is there a recommended reading list for my master programme?"

    You will receive information about recommended reading on the first day of classes. In some courses, teachers provide texts and digital material. You will also have access to e-books, scientific articles and books at your university.

  • "As a master student, am I required to complete an internship? Do they count towards my degree?"

    Internships are compulsory in most of our programmes. In others, internships are optional and can serve as a supplement to the thesis project. However, the options may vary depending on your university.

  • "Is it possible to do the thesis/graduation project within a company?"

    Yes, this option is available. We encourage students to complete their graduation project within a company, particularly if they are interested in gaining professional experience.

  • "Where can I find more information about the content of each programme?"

    The content for each specific programme is available on our website. This information should give you an overview of the content studied throughout the academic year.

  • "How and when do I choose 2nd year specialisation?"

    The decision about 2nd year choice location is made during the first year based on the wishes of the student, the transcript of previous studies and available seats available in each location. The decision is taken by a committee with representatives from all universities taking part in the programme. Where possible the student´s preferences will be honoured. Approximate dates for decision for each programme below.

    • Programme Date for decision
    • MSc EMINE Mid April
    • MSc Energy for Smart Cities Late February or early March
    • MSc ENTECH Mid February
    • MSc RENE March
    • MSc SELECT April or May
    • MSc SENSE April or May

Other Questions

  • "What qualification will I receive after completing a KIC InnoEnergy MSc programme?"

    After successfully completing the programme,  you’ll receive a double degree, one from each university you attended during the programme, as well as a KIC-EIT certificate that recognises the extra activities you completed.

  • "Can I bring my wife / husband and children with me?"

    If you need a visa to study in Europe, you may find that the financial requirements for bringing your family are higher than those if you were travelling by yourself. However, these rules and regulations differ per country. Moreover, if you need assistance in finding housing, you may find that universities often do not have rooms that cater for families. For these reasons, bringing your family may present some challenges. However, it’s not discouraged.

  • "Can I study part time?"

    No, our programmes are designed for full-time study only. Remember that our programmes include study in two different countries and that several study trips are organised each year.

  • "How can I find out about employment opportunities after graduation? What are the job prospects, for example?"

    Each university has information on employment opportunities in their own career centres. We also promote vacancies from our industrial partners to our students and alumni. The KIC InnoEnergy Transition and Alumni Office will also help you gain a foothold in the labour market after your graduation.

  • "How can I get in touch with KIC students or alumni to talk with them about the programmes, etc?"

    A number of our alumni enjoy sharing their experience and are available to answer your questions. The best way to make enquiries is to consult the ‘meet our students’ section on the website where you can find videos, interviews and news related to our students and graduates. Another option is to contact the programme director and ask to get in touch with them.

  • "Do I need health insurance?"

    This depends on the country you will be studying in and the university you apply to. Please follow the instructions in your year 1 university admission letter.

  • "Is there an introduction/orientation week before starting my studies? And is it mandatory?"

    This depends on the university you choose. Please follow the instructions you receive from your year 1 university and your programme director.

  • "Do you offer help with accommodation? What type of housing is available, and how do I apply for it? How about in my second year? Will I be offered help in moving to my second year university?"

    All universities in the KIC InnoEnergy Master School are used to hosting international students in their programmes.  Most universities have housing available for international students and will be able to support you in your search. This holds both for the first and second year of your studies.

    The types and prices of accommodation differ per university and you can find more information on each university´s website.  You can start your search at our overview of partner universities.

  • Where can I find information from the year 1 study location for accepted students?

    Here you can have information and contact details to prepare your adventure 🙂

    Info for accepted students

Application Process

  • "How do I know that you have received my application?"

    Once you have completed the online application form, you will receive  an automatic confirmation e-mail with your application number. Please use this application number in your correspondence with the Admissions Office. If you do not receive the confirmation e-mail, this means that we have not received your application.

  • "I would like to change my study programme/I made a mistake in my application. Can I still change this?"

    Once you have submitted your application form online, you cannot make any more changes. However, you can send an e-mail to the Admissions Office at admissionsoffice@kic-innoenergy.com detailing your change request and we will try our best to accommodate you.

  • "When is the deadline to send in my application documents?"

    You can find more information about the deadlines here.

  • "How many programmes can I apply for?"

    You can apply for a maximum of two KIC InnoEnergy MSc programmes.

    Round 0: You can apply for Clean Fossil and Alternative Fuels Energy (intake March) and/or EMINE (intake autumn)

    Round 1 and 2: You can apply for all KIC InnoEnergy MSc programmes (intake autumn)

  • "Is there an assessment exam or interview?"

    Some MSc programmes but not all of them may call some applicants for an online interview or for an online test.

  • "Should my scanned documents be in colour or black and white?"

    Either will be accepted.

  • "Should I send certified copies with my application?"

    No, you do not need to send in certified copies when you apply through our online application system. Digital copies of your documents are sufficient at  this stage. However, if you are accepted on to one of our programmes, you will need to send in certified paper copies of your degree and transcripts in order to finalise your acceptance. Check the info about required documents.

  • "Should I send in copies of my high school diplomas?"

    No, you only need to focus on your university degree(s). You can find more information about the documents required for the application here.

  • "Do I need to send in paper copies of my documents?"

    No. You can do the entire application online and you do not need to send in any paper copies of your documents until you have been accepted. If you are accepted by one of the programmes, you will need to send us certified copies of your degrees and transcripts. You can find more information about this in your acceptance letter and here.

  • "Do you accept late applications?"

    We do not accept late applications. You have to apply through our online application form within the deadlines.

    After deadlines the application form is closed and to submit applications is not possible anymore. Applications by email or regular mail are not accepted and paper applications form are not available.

  • "I am about to finish my Bachelor’s Degree, is it possible to apply and obtain a conditional admission?"

    Students in their final year of undergraduate education may also apply and if qualified, receive a conditional offer. If you have not completed your studies, please include a written statement from the degree administration office (or equivalent department), confirming that you are enrolled on the final year of your education and giving your expected completion date. In case your university does not issue a statement with your expected completion date an enrollment certificate with the number of your current  semester will do as well. If you receive a conditional offer, you should present your degree certificate to the KIC InnoEnergy Admissions Office before your admission in a specific programme can be formalized. The KIC InnoEnergy Admission Office will forward this to your programme, and appointed Year 1 university, such that your admission can be completed.

    For more information about conditional acceptance in the case of ongoing studies, please see.

  • "Is a GRE score required?"

    No, it is not required but you are free to upload your GRE score together with the rest of your application documents.

  • "How long does the admission process lasts? When can I expect a reply?"

    You can find more information about the selection deadlines here.

  • "Will you inform me if my application is declined?"

    Yes, all applicants will receive a notification with their selection results.

  • "What are my chances of being admitted to the programme? Can I send you my CV so that you can give me an indication of my suitability?"

    Unfortunately, we’re unable to indicate whether or not you will be suitable. Some programmes have high “programme specific requirements” including minimum GPA. You have to check with the individual programmes here.

    All eligible candidates are  evaluated further and ranked based on GPA, the content of previous studies, the quality of their previous university and other relevant experience. Only the highest ranked are accepted.

    The best way to find out if you will be suitable is to send in your application. Unfortunately, we cannot carry out any pre-assessments of your documents.

  • "Can I defer my admission until next year?"

    No, this is not possible. If you have been accepted, but cannot take the offer, you will need to apply again next year. Because student rankings may have a different outcome, we cannot guarantee that you will be admitted again.

  • "Can students enter the program in the Spring semester?"

    Most programmes only have an intake in the Fall semester. The only programme that has an admission both in the Fall and in the Spring semester is Clean Fossil and Alternative Fuels Energy.

  • "Where can I find information on visa applications?"

    If you are accepted by one of our programmes, you will receive an admission letter from the university you have been accepted to for your first year. You can use this admissions letter together with the programme acceptance letter as part of your visa application.

  • Who is in the Steering Committee? Who are the Programme Coordinators? and who is the Consortium Coordinator?

    The steering committee is formed by the Program Coordinators of the different study locations of the Consortium of the KIC InnoEnergy Master Programme.

    The program coordinators are the persons appointed by each Partner Institution in respect of the KIC InnoEnergy Master Programme.

    The consortium coordinator is the person appointed by the Programme Director to coordinate the consortium.

  • Can you please let me know my position on the ranking list/waiting list?

    No, we do not share this kind of information. When a study place or scholarship becomes available that you would qualify for, you will be contacted by our Admissions Office.

Application Documents

  • "What information do you need about my GPA?"

    Your transcript should contain information about your average score and the minimum (to pass) and maximum scores. Depending on the university country the information is given in:

    • “Grades” (average, maximum and minimum to pass grade)
    • “Percentage”  (average, maximum and minimum to pass percentage)
    • “Grade Point Average” (GPA, GPA minimum to pass and GPA maximum)

    We accept the information given in Grades, Percentage or GPA.

  • "The university I studied at does not follow the GPA system, but students are graded on the basis of percentage. So the transcripts do not include the information about GPA. To complete the application there is a requirement of min GPA, max GPA and a scanned copy of the GPA attained. What should I do?"

    If your university uses a percentage grading system, please indicate your GPA as a percentage and include your transcript in the application. If the Admissions Office has any questions about your transcript, they will contact you directly.

  • "What documents should I send in with my application? Is a CV and motivation letter necessary?"

    You can find more information about the required documents here.

  • "Do I need to send reference letters with my application?"

    Letters of reference are not required. However, if you have them, you can submit them with your other documents. Our programmes consider several factors when assessing your background and suitability for a programme and reference letters could be a valuable resource (if they are “personal” enough to show your uniqueness and merits). However, these are not a neccesity.

  • "How can I prove that I am an EU citizen? Is an ID-card okay instead of a passport?"

    By ‘EU students’, we mean students with citizenship in one of the EEA countries (all EU member states and Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland) or Switzerland. ‘Non-EU students’ are therefore classified as all students who do not comply with the above definition of an ‘EU student’.

    In order to prove that you are an EU citizen and therefore, in case of acceptance, granted a tuition fee waiver, you need to send a photocopy of your passport or a photocopy of a valid identity card. This should clearly state your citizenship and the card’s expiration date. For the ID card to be considered valid, your copy must reach us a maximum of 3 months after the expiration date has passed. (For example, if the last valid day is 5th May, your copy must reach us latest by 5th August.)

    For citizens of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland who do not have a valid passport or ID card, you can submit an official document which certifies your citizenship. This document must be certified, stamped and must reach us a maximum of 3 months after the expiration date has passed. Please note that this document must be officially translated to English, French or German if it has been issued in a language other than these three.

  • "I am applying from Pakistan. I have completed my Bachelor’s Degree programme but my university has not yet issued a Degree Certificate, Can I send a Provisional Certificate attested by Notary Public?"

    All academic documents from Pakistan have to be attested by the Higher Education Commission (HEC). We recommend you contact HEC and let them attest all your transcripts and your Provisional certificate.

    For application: please upload the Provisional Certificate attested by the Notary Public within the online application.
    In case of acceptance you will have to send HEC certified hard copies of your degree certificate (provisional is accepted when it is certified by HEC) and final transcript by regular mail.

    You can find more information about document requirements here.

  • "I am an applicant from China. If I choose Netherlands, Germany or Belgium as my preferred location, do I have to obtain a Nuffic certificate or APS before I apply?"

    If applying to Belgium:

    Please visit the KU Leuven website to see if you need to apply for an APS or not: http://www.kuleuven.be/application/FAQ.html. The answer is under question 14.

    If applying to Germany:

    This is also a prerequisite imposed by Germany itself, to make sure that documents like certificates, etc. are genuine. In these cases, documents are reviewed and the candidate interviewed before he/she can apply to a university in Germany. This following website may be helpful: https://www.aps.org.cn/web/zh/verfahren-und-services-deutschland/chinaverfahren

    If applying to the Netherlands:

    All Chinese students coming to the Netherlands need a Nuffic certificate in order to be eligible to study in the country and to apply for a VISA. The relevant information is available from the following website: http://www.studyinholland.nl/practical-matters/visas-and-permits/nuffic-certificate-for-chinese-students

    Nuffic is the Dutch organization responsible for all exchange students. Students need to apply for this certificate by themselves and this procedure is independent of the application process.

  • "Do I need an apostil on my documents?"

    A correctly certified copy is a photocopy that is signed and stamped by the degree administration of the issuing university, or by a notary public. You do not need an apostil, we will accept copies of your transcripts and degree if the copies are signed and stamped by the degree administration of the issuing university or a notary public. A translation must be made by a licensed translator.

English Requirements

  • "Am I required to take an English test in order to start any of these master’s programme?"

    Most people are. You can find the requirements here.

  • "What English language tests do you accept?"

    You can find all the information about the different English language tests and required levels on our website.

  • "What are the deadlines for sending in my English language test?"

    You can find the deadlines here.

  • "Can I get a conditional acceptance and send my English test result later?"

    We do not offer the possibility to be conditionally accepted for the English requirements. However, the deadline to send in your English test is several weeks after the deadline for sending in the rest of your application. You can find more information about the deadlines here.

  • "Can I get a waiver for the English language test requirement?"

    English proficiency tests are only waived for applicants who:

    • have completed a higher education degree instructed in English at a university or a university of applied sciences in an EU/EEA country. The official language of the degree programme has to be stated in the degree certificate or its supplement, or in the transcript of records. Statements by professors or heads of department are not accepted. Other documentation regarding language of instruction will not be accepted.
    • have completed a degree instructed in English at a university that is physically located in one of the following countries: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand. All other applicants must take one of the accepted English language progficiency tests to be eligible.

    Please read more about the English proficiency tests here.

  • "My English test score is slightly too low. Can I still enrole in one of your programs?"

    Unfortunately not. Please try to improve your score and then you are always welcome to apply to our programmes at a later date.

  • "Where should I send my TOEFL scores?"

    All TOEFL tests must be sent directly  to the Educational Testing Service (ETS). The institution code you need to use is 0683 (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, KIT). This code should be used regardless of which university you indicate as your first year preference. When you visit the ETS website, select KIT and then choose the ‘any department not listed’ option and the ETS score report will be sent to the KIC InnoEnergy Admissions Office directly.

  • "I sat an IELTS test. Should I send a certified copy of the results?"

    For IELTS, a minimum overall mark of 6.5 is required and no section should be below 5.5 (only IELTS Academic exams accepted). IELTS exams are verified online by the admissions office, so uploading a pdf copy of your official test report form within the online application is sufficient. In case the IELTS test report form is not available until the application closes, please send the IELTS test report form as pdf by email until deadline to submit your English proof.

  • "I have a TOEFL result older than two years. Can I use it for the application?"

    Unfortunately not. TOEFL results are only valid from two years of the date of the exam (TOEFL regulations). After two years it is not possible to order a score report from ETS and the results can’t be verified anymore. Therefore we do not accept TOEFL results older than two years.

  • "I have a IELTS / CAE / CPE result older than two years. Can I use it for the application?"

    Results of IELTS and CAE / CPE  are valid from two years of the date of the exam. If you have taken IELTS or CPE/CAE (but not TOEFL) and can show proof that you have maintained your English proficiency since then, we will consider this on a case by case basis. You can show proof by, for example, submitting a transcript that shows that you have completed courses taught in English in the past two years or a statement of your employer that the working language in your company was English. Please upload the additional English proof together with your IELTS or CAE / CPE (assembled in one pdf) within the online application.

Scholarships, Fees and costs

  • "What scholarship opportunities do you have in your programmes?"

    There are scholarship opportunities for the top rated applicants who are accepted on to the programmes, however the process is very competitive and each candidate is evaluated based on a number of criteria. You can read more here.

  • "I have found another energy related programme somewhere else. Can I still qualify for one of the KIC InnoEnergy scholarships?"

    No. The KIC InnoEnergy scholarships are only awarded to students in one of the KIC InnoEnergy MSc programmes.

  • "How do I apply for a scholarship?"

    In the online application form for the MSc programmes, you can also indicate if you are applying for a scholarship. There is no special application procedure for the scholarships. All applicants are evaluated for eligibility and for other merits. Those with the highest qualifications are accepted and of these students, only the highest ranked may be nominated for a scholarship.

    Please read more here.

  • "My background is in XYZ and my GPA is XYZ. Do I qualify for a scholarship?"

    Both admission to our programmes, as well as nomination for scholarships follows a thorough evaluation and ranking of all applicants and is thus impossible to predict. The best way to confirm your eligibility is to apply. If you are accepted (a competitive process in itself) but NOT nominated for a scholarship, perhaps you can look for alternative sources for funding (there are other scholarship opportunities available).

  • "Do I need to apply for a tuition fee waiver?"

    As a non-EU applicant it depends on whether or not you are awarded a scholarship. If you are an EU-applicant you will receive the tuition fee waiver IF you are accepted.

  • "When am I considered an EU or non-EU applicant?"

    ‘EU applicants’ have citizenship in one of the EEA countries (all EU member states and Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland) or Switzerland. ‘Non-EU applicants’ are all other applicants.

  • "Can I take study loans for KIC InnoEnergy Master School?'"

    Yes, the Erasmus + programme makes it possible for students who want to take a full Master’s-level degree in an Erasmus + programme country to apply for a loan. This opportunity is open for resident in EU or associated countries. The loans are up to € 12,000 for a one-year Master’s programme and up to €18,000 for a two-year Master’s and can cover both living and tuition costs. More information here.

  • Are the KIC InnoEnergy scholarships financed by EU funds?

    Yes, they are funded by the EU.

  • What does "Scholarship" mean? And what does "Participation Fee Waiver" mean?

    • Scholarship: financial aid provided to the highest ranking applicants per programme. Scholarship levels depend on the budget available for each programme and may therefore vary. The ranking is based on several criteria such as academic performance, quality of previous education and university, experience with innovation and entrepreneurship, etc.
    • Participation Fee Waiver: consists of [€4,000 (for Students with citizenship in an EU or EEA/EFTA member state)] / [€8,000 (for Students with citizenship that is not an EU or an EEA/EFTA member state)] per academic year for a maximum of two academic years.]
  • "What is the minimum I should expect to spend each month to cover my living expenses?"

    Your living expenses depend very much on location and personal preference. A rough estimate would be €750 per month to cover housing, food, books, travel and personal expenses. This amount is the monthly allowance we offer in our scholarships.

  • "Is the cost of books covered in the scholarship?"

    Each university gives you free access to readers, e-books, books and journals in its library. The cost of any additional books will be subsidised by students themselves.

  • Can KIC InnoEnergy give me financial aid, for example for going to a conference, to participate in a competition, or to do an internship?

    No, this is not possible.

  • I was not awarded a scholarship or my scholarship is not high enough to cover my cost of living. Could I get a higher scholarship?

    We do not have the possibility to award more or higher scholarships. Therefore, when you are admitted to one of the KIC InnoEnergy MSc programmes, please consider carefully if you have sufficient funds to study fulltime. If this is not the case, please consider applying for other scholarships or for a study loan. You can find more information about scholarships in the Scholarship portal and about study loans supported by the European Commission here.